Mince Pies & Santa Trees - My Attempt at a Christmas Post

MERRCHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

So, I have seen a lot of lovely festive posts and I thought, I really need to get in on this. Everyone loves an upbeat and feel-good Christmas post, right? But, do you know what, writing about Sunshines and Rainbows, or should I say Mince Pies and Santa Trees, is just a bit boring... I don't know, maybe my genre of blog is less feel-good, and more feel-bad? Is that even a thing? Anyway, I thought I would attempt a Zaz-style Christmas post!

December 2018
Having a child has definitely increased my Christmas buzz. I never used to be that Christmassy. Don't get me wrong, I have always enjoyed it. But I'm not one of those Christmas fanatics who live for Christmas. You know the ones. They have a 90-day build up, and a countdown on Facebook. This year though, I honestly just can't wait to just spend the day with my family. I have so many games lined up. But, good games. Not ones that go on for 4 flipping hours (*cough* Monopoly *cough*).

Of course, I'm also excited to see Cian's face when he realises Santa has been. That'll be pretty exciting. And for me, there is also the added bonus of a complete toy overhaul. I'm getting pretty bored of his current toy line up. We're always playing with the same 3 toys. It's getting very repetitive. So Christmas really has come at a perfect time.

I have to be honest about one thing though. I am really struggling with this whole idea that Santa gets the credit for all the toys I have bought. Call me selfish, or a grinch, or whatever, but I just don't think it's fair! And being the over-sharer that I am, I have confessed this to quite a lot of people. And it would appear that it's just me that feels this way? It can't just be me though. I think people fear the judgement. Not me though. I'm putting my thoughts out there.

So this credit thing was getting a lot of air time in my head. And then it hit me. I had a great idea. I have a lot of those. Jack isn't opinionated on much, he's normally a go with the flow sort of person. But Christmas is pretty much non-negotiable. So I was brave even entertaining this thought. I suggested to Jack, that Cian could get one Santa present, and the rest would be from us. I explained how much sense it made. It would mean our son would grow up to be a well-rounded individual. He wouldn't be that brat at school bragging about how many presents he got. I really thought my argument was air tight. He didn't buy it. Not in the slightest. I don't think there was much discussion really. He saw right through me. He knew my actual motive. So, I guess that's that. Santa is getting credit for everything.

Edinburgh Santa 2018
The one good thing about Santa getting the credit though, is that his elves will get the blame for the shoddy wrapping. I must stress though, I'm not a bad wrapper. Let's just say it's just not at the top of my priority list. Why would I waste time trying to tie a nice bow, or coordinate the gift tag with the paper? Especially when it just gets ripped to shreds by the receiver. I know people who apply a theme to their wrapping paper. An actual theme. Isn't Christmas a theme in itself? Why are we doubling up on themes here?

Anyway, I recently had an epiphany about wrapping paper. Until recently, I had never appreciated that wrapping paper exists on a spectrum. That is, a spectrum of quality. You have your luxurious high-end paper, from the likes of Paperchase or John Lewis. This is an absolute pleasure to wrap with. It just adds value to the gift. Then at the other end, you have Poundland or B&M Bargains paper. Not only does this paper depreciate the value of the gift. It puts me  in a very bad mood. The paper is so thin and fragile, you need to double wrap presents. If you even blow on that stuff too hard, it tears. So, this year I thought, I would get some good paper. Maybe somewhere in the middle of this spectrum. Sainsburys surely would cater for that? No, no they don't. I spent £3 and the paper was so thin, you could use it to filter your coffee. So yes, I have taken to black balling them on my blog. But, the good thing is, Santa will get the blame for that paper. Not me. I'm not giving Cian any presents, remember?

So, in the spirit of Christmas, and trying not to be bitter, I set out at the weekend to be a good little elf. And good little elves, fill up children's stockings! I didn't have a clue what I could put in there, he's only 2. So I cheated. I watched a vlog on YouTube, all about stocking fillers. The mum in the video had gone to Poundland, and she had got lots of good stuff for her kids. So that's where I went! I know, I know, I just slagged off their wrapping paper. In my defence, wrapping paper is totally different. For stocking fillers, you really can't fault the shop. I got some great little things, and it only cost me £6! I actually filmed this whole shopping trip for my next vlog. Notice the plug there for my next vlog! (It's out on YouTube on Sunday 23rd December!). I literally walked round the shop talking to my camera like I was filming a documentary. It might have looked a little strange. But let's be realistic, I'm not half as questionable as some of the other Poundland clientele.

Can you believe that there is less than a week until Christmas! It's officially the run up. Although I have not finished my Christmas shopping, Cian is pretty much sorted. And really, the day is going to revolve largely around him. Well, and me getting to play with his new toys!

I hope you guys are all set for Christmas! I would love to know how your preparations are going. What are doing for stocking fillers? How do you feel about wrapping paper themes? Are you miffed that Santa gets the credit?

Oh, and if you want to get even more into the Christmas spirit (Zaz-style of course), keep an eye out for my next vlog...

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Belfast Santa 2017


Comments

  1. Good idea with the one present! The child should know just how much effort everyone else made for them and not all parents can afford more than one present from Santa, which in turn could lead to upset at school if one child got only one present from Santa and another got several. Well that's my logic anyway.
    Well written! X

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment