Two Birds and One Pelvic Floor

Picture from my pregnancy
This post could be considered a little bit of a change in direction for me and my blog. That's because it's not really about Cian at all. It's just an update on one month into my healthier exercise regime (i.e. having one at all) and diet. Jack actually questioned me when I told him this idea. You know, I like to consult Jack on these things. Because, whether he likes it or not, he's my partner in both actual life, and blog life. He wondered if this was really about being a mother of a toddler, after all my blog is titled "The Life of a Lavery Toddler". But really, this is motherhood related, because it's all about priorities. And let's face it, when you have kids, they become your number one priority, and that other stuff gets knocked to the back of the list. Or in my case, off the list completely.

So some history first. Basically, the minute I found out I was pregnant, I pretty much stopped exercising, and I relaxed my eating habits. There was no requirement for me to do so, I just found the ultimate excuse to be lazy and eat whatever I wanted. Growing a human is no easy task. And ever since I've been trying, maybe not quite hard enough, to get back on track. Who knows, maybe making my efforts more public will spur me on?

The main problem I have, is that for as long as I can remember, I have been very good at rationalising away my poor exercise and dietary decisions. Really, it could be seen as a sort of skill? If I've had a bad day, I allow myself a treat or two. If I've had a great day, I also allow myself a treat or two. Basically, there is no day that passes by that I cannot justify having some sort of treat. And the problem is, I can never stop at one small treat! The same applies to going a run. If it's cold outside, my thought process is - 'oh, I don't want to get sick, I won't be able to parent or work'. If it's dark outside - 'oh, it's a bit dangerous to be running in the dark, I don't want anything to happen to me, I won't be able to parent or work'. It's sunny outside - 'oh, I don't want to overheat and get sick…'. I'm sure you get the message.

My ability to justify poor behaviour is actually quite phenomenal. And eating treats seems to be the answer to all my problems. You know that clichéd wedding vow - "through thick and thin"? Has anyone ever considered that maybe God meant that to be looking thicker, or looking thinner? Jack and I had this discussion the other week, and you know what, I did question it for a second. Genuinely, I thought, is that what this means? But God's probably not that shallow, right? But sadly I am, and other people are too.

So how has my first month of healthier eating and exercise been? It's actually been a lot better than I had expected. As a self-confessed foodaholic/chocoholic/anything nice-aholic, I knew it was going to be tough. And reigning in my chocolate eating habits has been at times. But the exercise has been, dare I say, enjoyable! Now, I hate most exercise. You couldn't pay me to get on the floor and do sit ups, or burpies, or push ups. Honestly, the thought alone makes me angry. So, for me, exercise is walking and running. I walk to and from work, and now I try and run 3 or 4 times a week. Being able to get out the flat, and just escape the cycle of housework-Cian-housework-Cian, and just run for half an hour has been great. 

At my biggest.. Days after giving birth
But there was one concern I did have about running. And this fear was realised on the 7th January 2019, and I'm not going to lie to you, it has happened a few times since. But the first time it happened, I was only 5 days into my new healthy regime. I was about to embark on my fourth run of the year. I was doing pretty well, and the fact that on my first day back at work I was motivated to go out for a run, just says it all really. I was bossing this new life. 

Let me give you some context. That night, Jack was working later and wasn't getting home until 7:30pm. The plan was, he would come home, put Cian to bed, and I would go for my run. It actually worked quite well. As soon as Cian and I arrived home at 6pm, I got into my running clothes (I thought psychologically that would keep me motivated). I had dinner with Cian at about 6:20pm, which was perfect because it gave me enough time for my food to settle. There was a little bit of hanging around but that's ok, because I fancied a cup of tea anyway. And before I knew it, Jack had arrived home. It was run time.

Now, knowing my weaknesses, my bladder being one of them (thank you childbirth), I went for a tacticle pre-run pee. And then, as I had done the days previous, embarked on my run. Not a long run, I could only manage a few kilometres. But, approximately 3 minutes into my run I realised the error of my ways. DO NOT drink tea before a run. I almost immediately started experiencing, what I will call for the purpose of this blog, pelvic floor malfunction (PFM). My pelvic floor muscles were failing me. The tea was coming out just as fast as it went in. And I drink tea quite quickly. If this had happened to someone who hadn't been through childbirth, they might have been quite alarmed, and raced home from their run faster than kids to an ice cream truck. They might have been ashamed of their PFM. But not me. I was motivated. And I had darkness on my side. All those times I had used darkness as an excuse not to run. Who knew one day it would be my best running companion.

The one and only benefit of PFM on a run, is that it is a great distraction. On that run, I had what I believed to be a broken toe. An injury from a previous days run. I think my trainers didn't fit me properly. And because I was so focused on damage control, and not leaving a nice little trail behind me, I was distracted from the pain! Don't get me wrong, I did get to the point, probably 15 minutes into my run where I just gave in and accepted that I would be putting another washing load on that night. Really, if I'm being completely honest with you, this was not the first time this has happened. Albeit, in the past it has been under different circumstances. I can't help it that my family and friends are too funny sometimes.

So when I arrived home, I stepped into the light. That's where I could properly assess the damage. Was it actually that noticeable? I'm going to let you judge that one for yourself. Lucky for you, I took a picture (see bottom of the post). This picture is motherhood in all its glory. And let's face it, it's probably not going to be the last time this happens. Next time I'll just be more prepared. Maybe this is exactly how Tena make their money. Really though, I'm just lucky it's still dark outside at night. Hopefully by the Summer I will have got this PFM under control. But ladies, please learn from my mistakes. Don't take the pelvic floor for granted. Do your exercises.

But exercising has actually had the biggest impact on my mood, not my waistline. Don't get me wrong, I have seen a little difference with the latter. Not a big enough difference to share with you those classic before and after pictures though (maybe in a few more months). But my new years resolution this year has been to be less grumpy. And I really thought that was all going to be down to faking it until I made it. I thought I would just have to grin and bear, and let the little things go. But actually, my mood has improved massively just through exercise. I know, I know, it's well known and documented that exercise helps a whole heap of things, including your mood. But I hadn't actually experienced this for myself. And what do you know, the research is right! Two birds, one stone! Exercise is my metaphorical stone, and grumpiness and my waistline are my birds!

Motherhood in all its glory
What have been your experiences of exercise and diet? Did things change when you had a child? Or are you one of those people I envy who actually enjoy exercising? I'd love to know your thoughts and experiences. Hit me up!

Comments